research areas: religious language, disciplinary and institutional discourse
Selected Published Research
- (May, 2023) No Love in War: A story of Christian nationalism. Mayfly Books.
- (Jan, 2021) An Introduction to Religious Language. Bloomsbury.
(Access all the book’s images here)
- (2020). Rape Culture in Sermons on Divorce. In Paynter, H & Spalione, M (Eds.), The Bible on Violence: A Thick Description (pp. 309-328). Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- (2019) The Discourse of Divorce in Conservative Christian Sermons. Critical Discourse Studies. View this article in WRRO
- (2018) Disability, the ‘Good Family’ and Discrimination in the Dismissal of a Presbyterian Seminary Professor. Journal of Language and Discrimination, 2(2), 133-161. View this article in WRRO
- (2018) Rape Culture in Sermons on Divorce. In Blyth C, Colgan E & Edwards K (Ed.), Rape Culture, Gender Violence and Religion: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (pp. 87-110). Palgrave Macmillan
- (2015) Characterizations of Feminism in Reformed Christian Online Media. Journal of Media and Religion, 14(4), 211-229.
- (2015) Looking Again at Clarity in Philosophy: Writing as a Shaper and Sharpener of Thought. Philosophy, 90(1), 135-142. View this article in WRRO
- (2014) Accounting for the great divide: Features of clarity in analytic philosophy journal articles. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 15, 27-36. View this article in WRRO
- (2007) Faking it or hating it: Can reflective practice be forced?. Reflective Practice, 3(8), 405-417.
Recent Online Articles and Interviews
- (2021). How Christianese is like corporate jargon. The Biblical Mind: A Center for Hebraic Thought podcast with Dr. Dru Johnson. 4 May.
- (2021). Us vs. Them: Complementarianism and culture wars in UK churches. Centre for the Study of Bible and Violence.
- (2021). Is Critical Race Theory a Religion? Responding to Carl Trueman. Jesus Creed – a blog by Scot McKnight, Christianity Today.
- (2021) Guns and God: A Centre for the Study of Bible and Violence podcast with Rev. Dr. Helen Paynter and Dr. Matthew Feldman. 14 January.
- with Paynter, Helen (2021). QAnon, Christian apocalypticism and the threat to US Democracy. Centre for the Study of Bible and Violence.
- (2020). Clean Lips: The Complexity, Power and Potential of Religious Language. Fathom Mag (8 October).
- (2020). Divorce Sermons that Enable Abuse. The Life-Saving Divorce.
- (2020). Women’s holy burden and patriarchy. Centre for the Study of Bible and Violence.
- with Miller, R. (2015). The subordinate place of supreme honor: An analysis of Doug Wilson’s wedding sermons. Patheos.
Online Articles Connected to Religious Abuse
- (2022, 24 June) Transcription and Analysis of a PCA Sunday School Lesson (Access here).
- (2017, Sept 21) Portrait of a deviant woman: Vulnerable members of the church are frequently portrayed as abnormal and even deserving of suffering. Part 1 in a Series on a Case in PCA Georgia Foothills Presbytery* (Access here)
- (2017, Sept 24) Beyond symbolic gestures: The PCA and underprivileged women. Part 2 in a Series on a Case in PCA Georgia Foothills Presbytery.* (Access here)
- (2017, Oct 1) Serving the status quo: Ministering to the vulnerable in the church with care and love. Part 3 in a Series on a Case in PCA Georgia Foothills Presbytery.* (Access here)
- (2017) Loving our vulnerable neighbour: When church courts fail.* (Access here)
- (2015). An overview and assessment of the OPC General Assembly in the appeal of John Carrick.* (Access here)
- (2015). Women on Trial: One Observer’s View.* (Access here)
*Originally published on TAR, a site I no longer publish with on principle.